Need advice for a 5 year old

• 2 replies

Need advice for a 5 year old
« on: January 03, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »
I am not sure this is the proper place to post this, but after searching and reading about baseball options in Kansas City, I thought I would post this to get some advice from those of you who may have already dealt with this process.

We live in Prairie Village, KS.  We have a 5 year old Kindergartner who wants to start playing Baseball this spring.  He has played with the YMCA, as a preschooler, and loved it.  I am trying to figure out the best youth baseball organization to sign him for the spring, and I am genuinely confused as to what the best options are.  So, I would really appreciate any thoughts from those of you who have already traveled this path.  Many thanks in advance. 

Jason

Re: Need advice for a 5 year old
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:16 AM »
This is just my opinion, but at that age I would probably consult with some of his friends parents and come to a conclusion on where to go. 
At age 5-6, having a little fun and being around kids he knows would probably do more good than just randomly signing up with Blue Valley http://www.bluevalleyrec.org/page/bsball.php or 3&2 http://www.3and2baseball.com/
At least with mine, he was more comfortable around kids he knew and I think did him well to stay there while he really learned the game. 
There may come a time that he needs more than just being around the kids he knows which was my case and we moved on to provide more competition and to kind of force him to make to acquaintances which has worked out well.
On the other hand, if he really enjoys playing the game and does not have any problems meeting new people then either one of the two mentioned would be a great choice.
Yea, I'm a geek
GPSWizard xBox360
MW2 MW3 BO

Re: Need advice for a 5 year old
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
If your son enjoys playing at the local YMCA, stay there. I started my son out at the KCK YMCA and coached him there until he was eight. We then moved on to tournament ball and played in the Blue Valley Gold Glove League Major/AAA level the past three years. It worked out great. he has played all over the metro and Nationaly and has more than held his own, so playing at the YMCA in the beginning didn't hamper his progress. Just make sure he loves the game, learns proper meachanics and fundamentals, and more important, has fun with friends at his age.

Best of luck