Guest Players??

• 4 replies

Guest Players??
« on: June 02, 2016, 04:00:47 PM »
Occasionally I see a post from someone looking for a tournament for their son to play in as a "guest" player?  Under USSSA rules, is this possible for a player who is on a frozen roster but looking to play a couple extra tournaments before the state tournament?

Thanks

Re: Guest Players??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 07:35:34 AM »
After the roster is frozen a player can only appear on one roster per age division. Below is from the USSSA rule book:

3.05 Player Roster Eligibility:
3.05.A Prior To Being Qualified / Frozen To An Official Online Roster (age Divisions 4U 14U ONLY):
3.05.A.1 A Player can only play on one team in any given tournament and can only play in one tournament at any given
time.
3.05.A.2 Players shall only physically play for one (1) team per day, event, tournament, week or weekend, regardless
of location, venue, age division and / or classification.
3.05.B After Being Qualified / Frozen To An Official Online Roster (Age Divisions 4U 14U ONLY):
3.05.B.1 3.05.B.2
3.05.B.3
Players shall only appear on one (1) Official Online Roster per age division and shall only participate with such qualified / frozen team (unless previously released pursuant to these rules).
Players participating in multiple age divisions shall only appear on one (1) Official Online Roster per age division and shall only participate with such qualified / frozen team(s) (unless previously released pursuant to these rules) but shall not participate on any team below the classification of the oldest team in which they participate on.
A Player can only play on one team in any given tournament and can only play in one tournament at any given time.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 07:42:08 AM »
OK, thank you.  So a "guest" player would likely be playing in a different age group, unless released by his team.  I was hoping there was another option so my 11 year old could play a few more tournaments before State.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »
Instead of posting to the internet your best bet would be to contact the KS or MO USSSA Director an ask for clarification from them.  They are the final arbitrators.  There is a process that will allow players to guest play all throughout the season, but there is a process that must be followed and the USSSA Directors are the people to speak with.

For questions in and around the KC area I have always found Wally Fortuna is very responsive. wally.fortuna@usssa.com.  He is the USSSA Regional Director.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 03:31:51 PM »
You should also check with your son's coach & ensure that you don't screw things up with him/for his team.   If 11U is your son's age group (assuming that he is not eligible for 10U), he would have to play up one age group and at the same or lower classification...(i.e if your son is 11U, AA - he would have to play 12U, AA or above) if the roster is frozen. 

There are some Global WS events that allow teams to "write-in" players - those players aren't added to the official USSSA roster.   

Agreed on running it by the USSSA rep, but check with your son's coach first.