Coaching versus Recruiter

• 40 replies

Coaching versus Recruiter
« on: September 13, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
At no point should anybody take this post as complaining, I am just making an observation about Little League baseball, and was curious if anybody saw it they way I did.

I have been coaching a team for about 3 years now, and each year I have lost players to other teams because of the coach stealing the players, and making promises they can't keep. Which brings me to my point.

Some guys are out there really putting the time in to coach and teach the game of baseball, and then there is guys out there, that instead of coaching up the players they have, they go around and search out the parents of the good players and get them to switch teams, which has left me looking to re-stock my team. I find it frustrating, but at the same time, I feel a sense of accomplishment, in the last 2 years I have lost 5 players to AAA teams. But hoping one day I will field a team of 12 decent players so I can have the feeling of playing in tournaments and going deep in those and winning and playing lots of baseball. Instead each year I find myself with about 7 good kids and the talent level drops off after that leaving me with a team that is between A and AA. It would be nice if some of these guys that coach teams would learn how to coach, instead of stealing other teams kids...............Anybody can coach 12 kids that know how to play baseball, it takes a real coach to take 6-12 raw kids and develop them into players.........Just my thoughts

Re: Coaching versus Recruiter
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
In my opinion, unless you can offer these "AAA" players a level of competition consistent with their abilities, they should be moving on so they can grow as a player.  In addition, if you really have 2-3 AAA level players and other solid AA players on a A/AA team, you should have been winning a lot of games and going very deep into tournaments.  The reality is you will never keep your better players (even great kids with supportive parents) if the team loses consistently.  Nobody likes to lose, even if the coach is a great guy and teacher of the game. 

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
I agree with what you say, but sometimes you get into a tournament and run across "Sandbaggers" that are in it for the trophies and medals versus challenging your team and the talent you have at maybe playing in a higher level tournament to see where you stack up against higher level competition. I guess I just not used to the Politics and Cut throat of little league ball.Just hard to shape a team when players leave and the replacements are not close to what you lost............ Winning is always good, but I would say development and challenging your kids is better.....

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »
It is cut throat, especially with all of the baseball "academies"  and "clubs" with paid coaches that are in it for a profit.  To stay in business, they need numbers and the way you attract kids to the "program" is by offering them "professional" instruction and a winning track record.  Parents are suckers and will plunk down $1000s of dollars a year with the idea that their 8 year old will get a college scholarship one day.  Funny thing is even if he does earn a scholardship, it will be a partial one at best, which likely won't even recoup the thousands and thousands they spent over the years.  What a scam.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
It takes a little of both. I love beating club teams who have 30+ kids come out and pay $3k a year to play. There are a lot of great coaches out there who are not in this for a profit but who really love working and teaching kids.

As far coach, you need a good one. As far as recruiter you have to a some but if you think that good players are going to stick around because of a good recruiter then I think that is a mistake in thinking because at some point the team coached by the recruiter will get surpassed by the one with the good coaches.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
I sympathize with you as this is another problem to go along with "club" teams and daddy ball.  One question you do not answer is, Where did your original team and your replacements come from?  If you are playing high A/AA then they were more than likely on another team.  How did you recruit them? What do you think the coaches from those team think about their players moving to your team? And why did the parents of your players chose to leave(the kids rarely make the decision)?

I am not saying that there is not any poaching going on, and yes I wish that some of the coaches that we have played for did not get "visions of AAA/Majors/Scholarships" dancing in their head and concentrated on what they have instead of what they want.  If the had they probably would have made it in couple of years instead of trying to do it the very next season.  Unfortunately, sometimes as team begin to succeed it becomes about the labels and the hardware.  This is not only in the heads of the coaches it is in the heads of a lot of the parents.

Every season I ask my kids do they want to play or not?  Their response is always "I just want to have fun"

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:06:24 PM »
When I moved to the area I live in now, I paid to have signs made up and just posted them around the area I lived in and got my kids that way. Joined a league, had success, got rid of the lesser skilled players, a couple of decent players came to my team, thought I was on the vege of something good and "WHAM" there went my team.....LOL  I know it is a process, and it is frustrating at times, my fear is that I won't get the caliber players in the spring to field a decent AA team to play league and tournaments. I have tried to explain to the parents that are always looking at the future, that I never played for my high school, because we never had a team, I got a 25% scholarship to a college in Iowa and was recruited out of the summer league I played in. But the stakes are higher now, and these clubs and academies, have taken little league ball to a new level. I take my 2 kids to the park and teach them, I could never see paying for something I can do just as well, my daughter is a Freshman and captain of her team at her high school, and my son is holding his own. But I guess maybe I will buy some more signs and start what I did a couple of years ago.............Appreciate the responses, I just love coaching and sharing my knowledge with young boys that have the passion to play the sport I love to watch, play and be a part of.

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 02:43:43 PM »
It's too late for the 2015 season, but to keep up with the "Joneses", you really need to have an open tryout in the late July / August timeframe for the following year's team.  Most competitive teams have their roster set for the following year going into the winter and then do indoor work with their team at least starting in January.  If you are looking for high caliber players in the spring, you will find the pickins slim. 

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »
As for the 2015 Season it depends on the age group you are looking for.  if your team is 13 or older you can hold indoor tryouts in January and still be able pull in some good players.  At 13 they start playing football in middle school and some kids that dropped, or where dropped by their last team, will start looking for team after the football/basketball season.  There are a lot of kids and families out there who went through the "club" tryouts and got sticker shock and there are kids that were picked up for fall that just didn't work out.  You also have kids that had bad experiences last year that took the fall off or are looking to get back in after an injury that will be looking for a team after the first of the year.  Posting tryouts on this board is a good place to start.  12 and under you have kids from rec ball who are looking to move up and just need a good coach.

The players are out their if you look.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 06:34:13 AM »
Yes, I kmow about the try out thing..........I went on my summer vacation when alot of team were having tryouts so I missed out on all the kids moving to other teams...........Story of my life. It will be alright, if anything I take the 5 good boys I got and find them a team to play on together if I can't rebuild to be competitive.

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »
My experience has been that 95% of AAA/Major talent are on a team going into the winter no matter what the age.  The few that aren't, you don't want on your team for other reasons!

mcox

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 09:57:16 AM »
I can speak on this topic from a place of direct knowledge. When my son was 4 we took a league sign up t-ball team and hit pay dirt.  Seriously every kid could flat play real early.  We were a franchise for younger baseball built our organizations into 5 teams.  3 of which I had no children on.  My grandparents sponsored parents didn't have to pay a dime to play for my teams.  We won numerous tournaments and championships it was a great three year run.  Then the boom came.  The major problem isn't little league its society.  Everyone is always looking for the next best thing.  We won everything had all the top 7u players and then one of my dads just wasn't quite satisfied for what ever reason.  He is from a major baseball family in this town he and his father played in the majors so of course everyone was enamored by him and anything he said. He  decided to merge with a guy who had three studs took half my team the rest is history.  I produced a winner.  I had all the money I needed at my disposal.  Every kid on my 7u team is now playing AAA or Major ball at the 11 and 12 year old levels.  Now these same guys call me saying man we should have stayed together we would be winning all over the country now.  It honestly makes me hate little league baseball.  No other sport has this type of drama.  You are right Army Vet some guys cant even coach but have the top teams in KC because they let everyone else develop players young then roll out some hot name and uniform and false promises and lure you over.  My teams have always beat the pants of Mac N Seitz, Building Champions and the joke they call Regal.  Its not academy ball its called ungrateful parents who have no respect for a guy donating time and effort for their kids.  I have now teamed up with a great guy and we have one of the top 11u Major teams in the City the Missouri Spoilers built solely from kids who were screwed over by these steal and build teams.  We have repped these kids for two straight years and now can compete and beat any of these teams that turn over rosters every year.  My advice find a core of PARENTS you get along with and can hang out with and the rest will take care of itself.  Like a previous guy said the kids have very little to do with this I still have former players telling me they wish I was their coach.  Unfortunately Little league baseball its just how this works.  Find honest real families that have your same belief system and you will be able to build the team you are looking for!  That is all

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 02:40:31 PM »
Metha are you referring to the AAA Missouri spoilers? The same Spoilers who play no USSSA events for the fear of being bumped up to major. Cmon Man

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 02:42:14 PM »
Your team is not Major. Go play the Train or the Gators then talk

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
If you are a Major level team why don't you play the Gators or Train? You guys live at Legacy which is not USSSA