the great 8U poll/debate

• 6 replies

the great 8U poll/debate
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:30:36 AM »
8U poll/debate

in your experience, what is the best route or a route you prefer over others for development at the 8 and under age group?

some examples are:
Machine pitch team (one that plays tournaments)
Pee Wee ball (might be 2 innings of coach pitch and then 4 innings of kid pitch
machine pitch rec.
coach pitch rec.
tee ball rec.

Re: the great 8U poll/debate
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 06:57:54 AM »
I would have to vote for Machine pitch team that plays tournaments.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:40:53 AM »
Same here. Machine pitch and tournament. It also depends on how much time you want to put in at home getting him up to that level. Rec ball is team practice and games. Tournament ball is the same plus batting cages and throwing on your days off.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 04:41:41 AM »
Any thoughts on Olathe Youth Baseball that does a kid/coach pitch for 8U?

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:34:55 AM »
funny how times change things.  (I feel like Al Bundy now) When I was 6 playing at the Y is South KC it was coach pitch, then 7 was kid pitch then off to KC 3&2 to play 8 9 10 year old group.  I am sure the 7 year old kid pitch was mostly counterproductive, but still. 
Sorry, no experience with the Olathe Youth for the younger kids, but their fall program at least from a competitive team side was horrendous. 
Yea, I'm a geek
GPSWizard xBox360
MW2 MW3 BO

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:13:23 AM »
wow, over 500 views and 4 responses...as opinionated as we americans are you would think there would have been more responses, still thanks for the responses from those that did...

we did not have a real good option as far as machine pitch so we played a combo coach pitch/kid pitch at 8u and it was a good experience , not great but good

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 07:06:20 AM »
We played fall ball for Olathe Youth Baseball for one year and it was the worst experience I ever had.  I came to find out later that it was supposed to be more instructional, at that time they didn't even keep scores for the games, everything was just rediculous. The only good thing about it was my son got quite a bit of extra pitching in when they were transitioning to kid pitch, so he was a little ahead of the other when spring came around.  However, I have never considered OYB for anything since...