question regardings bats

• 5 replies

question regardings bats
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:31:49 AM »
what is your rule of thumb regarding players using other players bats? with as expensive as bats are today....i can see some parents not wanting their kids to share a bat with a teammate...i'm kind of old school where it was never a problem back in our day lol...so should i leave it up to the parents or just make a rule of my own...thanks

Re: question regardings bats
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
Last season we suggested that all players get their own bats since the costs are so rediculous.  However, we left it up to the parents as to whether or not their athlete shared their bats...

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:05:25 AM »
makes some sense, any others want to weigh in?

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
Our team went through this last year when they began enforcing the new bat rules. Several players got new bats. Many parents tend to by bats too heavy for their kids and they don't realize it until game time. There were many games where my son's bat was used by half of the team, which I welcomed. I'd rather see someone succeed with the right bat than strike out with the wrong one. I wouldn't let everyone abuse it in practice, but if the head coach wants to match his players with the appropriate bats during a game, that's his call and I support it.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »
thanks lefty

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »
When I played, the Easton Green and Easton Black Magic were really the only bats on the market (big barrel).  They were around $100 and almost bullet proof.  It wasn't an issue way back when and we generally had a few bats everyone on the team shared. 

Anytime a parent asks about a bat, I advise them:  1.) You don' t need to spend over $100.00 to find a decent bat.  2.) Your son will probably grow out of it by next season.  3.)  With companies like justbats.com (located in Kansas City) you can usually purchase a one or two year old model bat, which may have sold for $200-$300, for around $60 - $70.

We have a team environment and I have never heard someone complain or upset that somebody else used their bat.