Can you teach hustle?

• 8 replies

Can you teach hustle?
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »
Ok, so we are a new team and have a few so called "rec players" on our team.  My belief is that all players are rec players until they have some real coaching in a more competitive environment.  My question is how do I get these kids who have never had alot of good coaching and fundamentals taught to them to HUSTLE?!  It drives me crazy as a player, coach and spectator to no have someone hustle on the field at all times.  Any suggestions?
Ryan Murphy
Head Coach
Competitive Edge 12U AA
Ottawa, KS

Re: Can you teach hustle?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:29:55 AM »
Wow, great question but sooooo many ways it could be answered.
1) Good news is, anyone regardless of ability can hustle.  Bad news is, some may be just too lazy or really not that interested to do so.  In a perfect world, if you are starting a team and whatever you do you just can't get the hustle, replace him.   Really no excuse for someone not to at least put forth effort.
2) But, on the other hand it has to start with the head coach.  Setting the standard of intensity at practice will carry over into the games.   Can't really expect kids to "turn it on" at a game if at every practice they are standing and waiting.   Keep the drills at practice short, multiple stations and the pace high so they really have no choice but to move.  Drives me nut to see a practice with 12 kids standing in line watching 1 kid take a ground ball.   That, in my opinion, starts the lazy ball rolling.
3) Be upfront.   Get the players and families at a meeting at set expectations.  There is no walking on or off the field.   There is no walking to a base etc and set consequences and stick to them.   Do not bend the rules for any player on the team regardless of skill level. 
Hustle is part of passion for the game. It comes naturally to some. To others, they have to be told if they don't hustle someone who does will eventually beat them out. There will be a point where talent isn't enough. Everyone left standing will have talent. The men will be separated from the boys by passion (hustle), work ethic and the mental aspects of the game.

Yea, I'm a geek
GPSWizard xBox360
MW2 MW3 BO

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 06:41:47 AM »
I absolutely believe the theory that anyone CAN hustle, I think some just flat choose NOT to! :)  I have preached and preached at practices so far about everyone hustling all the time.  I try to lead by example and am out there running everywhere I go also during practice.  We have tried to keep the stand around time to a minimum during practices.  Trust me, I have been more than up front with the parents and the kids about my expectations.  I have a feeling this one just doesn't have what it takes.  I want to give him every opportunity to make me wrong and we have only had a handful of practices.  Any ideas out there to light a fire?!
Ryan Murphy
Head Coach
Competitive Edge 12U AA
Ottawa, KS

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 07:49:39 AM »
Our team has a rule, -
Once the last out while fielding has been made you have 10 seconds to get to the dugout. 
Once the last out when hitting has been made you have 20 seconds to get to your position.

The outfielders keep all their gloves/hats together and the infielders keep all their stuff together.  If you're on base when the last out is made, throw your helmet to the coach and head to your position.  Someone will 'pick you up'.  We want to play fast. Make sure the umpires are never waiting on us, for anything.  We practice this (coach has a stop watch) and if we don't make it in the time we come back in, or out, and do it again. If someone is repeatedly late, then make a change, they probably won't be late again..

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:54:47 AM »
I completely agree.  Hustle is free and everyone can do it.  We started running more in practice if there wasn't any hustle.  They don't like that.  We also sit kids that aren't going to hustle.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:35:17 AM »
Some kids are just lazy!  Rather than just having the coach yell at them all the time, have his peers get into it as well.  If you say, "Everyone touch the foul pole again, Johnny wasn't hustling", they will make sure Johnny hustles next time.  If nothing works, then think about looking for someone else.  It only takes one bad apple to ruin the entire bunch, we had a kid on our team a couple of years ago that complained and whined about everything, he brought the whole team down, his family went on vacation for the last couple of games and morale improved 1000%!

Rut

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:29 PM »
As much as I didn't want to punish everyone for one person not being lazy I think I'm going to have to.  You're only as bad as your weakest player right?! lol
Ryan Murphy
Head Coach
Competitive Edge 12U AA
Ottawa, KS

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
I THINK IT'S THE COACH, because he's lazy!!! LMAO... Had to take a dig at you!!  Run them as a group initially, and if one continues run him.  We run at practices and they are timed, and my bigger kids usually aren't last, then the times get decreased.  Anyone can learn hustle or they can learn to find a new team or hold down the bench!  My team runs each practice, and continue to run if they're not hustling,  if anything they'll be in better shape than the other teams.  It's easy for me to say because I'm a runner. 

Offline admin

• View Profile
    • KC Fire Baseball
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 09:51:59 AM »
updated